Friday, January 12, 2007

Love Songs though the Decades

One of my favorite research projects was "Love Songs Through the Decades." I compiled popular song titles dating back to the 1890's as many older couples did not have wedding receptions or first dances like so many of newly married couples do today.

I found that so many titles and songs have been re-done over the years. Songs that we may think are "new" today are many times just a "new" version of a classic or not so classic song. I often thought that this cyclical method of recording songs was artists laziness. More so now after much reading I found that many artists remake their favorite songs or songs that touched them and made an impact on their life.

Many of the "older songs" are not even available to listen to on record or tape. I collect some sheet music and it is sad that we will never "hear" a recording (in any format) of songs from when our grandparents and great-grandparents fell in love and were married. At least we have the beauty of what these songs were and they will not be lost. Maybe some day an artist or musician will pick up some old sheet music and create their own version of some beautiful love songs.

Love Songs through the Decades

1890’s
-My Wild Irish Rose
-When you were Sweet Sixteen
-Sweet Rosie O’Grady
-Ailie Bain O’ the Glen
-The Sign of the Bonny Blue Bell
-The Banks of the Roses
-Bells of Aberdovy


1900’s
-By the Light of the Silvery Moon
-Fascination
-Sweet Adeline


1910’s
-Let Me call You Sweetheart
-When Irish Eyes are smiling
-You Made me Love You (I didn’t want to do it)



1920’s
-Stardust
-Hawaiian Wedding Song
-Someone to Watch over Me
-It Had to be You
-Always
-What is this Thing called Love?





Love Songs Through the Decades Continued…

1930’s
-All of Me
-I’m Getting Sentimental over You
-My Funny Valentine
-Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
-I only Have Eyes for You
-In a Sentimental Mood
-The Very Thought of You
-Moonlight Serenade
-I’ve Got You Under My Skin
-I’m in the Mood for Love
-The Way You Look Tonight


1940’s
-String of Pearls
-Some Enchanted Evening
-Sentimental Journey
- (I Love You) for Sentimental Reasons


1950’s
-Blue Velvet
-Love Me Tender
-Misty
-Young At Heart
-Three Coins in the Fountain
-Mona Lisa
-Autumn Leaves
-Unchained Melody
-Fly Me to the Moon
-Unforgettable
-Only You


Love Songs Through the Decades Continued…


1960’s
-Can’t Help Falling in Love
-Happy Together
-Stranger’s in the Night
-What a Wonderful World
-When a Man Loves a Woman
-At Last


1970’s
-How Deep is Your Love?
-Sometimes when We Touch
-You are so Beautiful
-Just the Way You Are

1980’s
-Candle in the Wind
-Endless Love
-Every Breath You Take
-Almost Paradise
-Take My Breath Away
-Up where we belong
-Wonderful Tonight
-Wind beneath My Wings
-I’ll stand by you
-In Your Eyes
-Sweet Love
-You’re the Inspiration







Love Songs Through the Decades Continued…

1990’s
-Always
-Always and Forever
-Beautiful in my Eyes
-Have I told You Lately?
-Here and Now
-A Whole New World
-My Heath Will Go On
-How Do I Live
-Because You Loved Me
-I Swear
- (I Do) Cherish You
-I Finally Found Someone
-I’ll be
-I’ll Always Love You
-I Knew I Loved You
-Cross My Heart
-Could I have this Dance?
- (Everything I do) I Do It for You
-From this Moment On
-Keeper of the Stars
-It’s Your Love
-I Could Not Ask for More
-Spend My Life with You
-Heaven
-I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing
-Breathe
-Sea of Love

The New Millennium—2000 and beyond
-Amazed
-When you say nothing at all
-When I said I Do
-A Moment like This
-All My Life
-Truly, Madly, Deeply
For the Wedding Ceremony

The Prelude Music is selections played prior to the starting of the wedding ceremony. Popular Prelude Music includes:

Canon in D by Pachelbel
Jesu Joy of Man’s Desire by Bach
Greensleeves by Williams
Sheep May Softly Graze by Bach
Ava Maria by Schubert or Gounod
Four Seasons by Vivaldi

Processional Music consists of one piece of music selected for the Brides journey to the altar to meet her Groom. This selection should be stately and regal and last only the duration of the Brides walk down the aisle:

Wedding March from Lohengrin by Wagner
Arrival of the Queen of Sheba by Handel
Trumpet Voluntary (Prince of Denmark’s March) by Clarke
Hornpipe from Water Music by Handel

Recessional Music is played after the Bride and her Groom are announced as Husband and Wife and start the journey on their new life together. Recessional Music is generally upbeat and spirited to signify celebration.

Traditional Recessional Music selections include:
Wedding March from a Midsummer Night’s Dream by Mendelssohn
Trumpet Voluntary (Prince of Denmark’s March) by Clarke
Overture from the Marriage of Figaro by Mozart
Hornpipe from Water Music by Handel

Note: When selecting music for your wedding ceremony at a House of Worship, check with the officiator for guidelines and rules. Many secular (non-sacred) music selections are not allowed during religious ceremonies.

If your wedding ceremony is being held outside of an official house of worship, your musical options are greater. Appropriateness and timing are important in selecting Ceremony Music.

No comments: