Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What Kind of Attire do YOU Think is Appropriate for Your Wedding?


by Erik Michaels of Megasound



Today I am going to discuss a bit about DJ/MC attire at weddings. I realize that some DJs don't want to wear formalwear because they are afraid of being mistaken for a wedding party member. This is a lousy excuse not to wear a tuxedo or formal dress. Any performer "worth his/her salt", so to speak, should look the part. If the wedding party can wear tuxedoes and formal dresses, then why wouldn't a professional DJ/MC want to look his or her best also? Of course, obviously there are some DJs who either AREN'T professional or don't want to be confused with being professional. This is unfortunate for those of us who actually care about what we do and want to do our best at every wedding.

Since a wedding DJ/MC will be representing the bride and groom, he or she should want to put their best foot forward as to his or her appearance. Perhaps I am a bit old-fashioned...but I have seen other DJs perform weddings in shorts or jeans and a T-shirt. Setting up equipment in that type of clothing is fine, but actually WORKING in that apparel just didn't seem right. I suppose I liken it to seeing my doctor at the beach in a swimming suit. That apparel is fine for the beach, but I don't think I would want to see him WORKING in it.
Here at Megasound, we allow our clients to have the final say in our performance attire. However, unless otherwise specified, our DJ/MCs perform in formal apparel and our assistants are required to wear standard business outfits. Our clients hire us to perform their wedding, not play volleyball in the backyard.

2 comments:

Dj Chaddy Chaz said...

Yes- This would be correct - I always let the Bride & groom pick what I'm to wear- If they want me to wear my Tux - Its the Tux- I have a reception coming up on June 6th in Indy - and the Bride and groom want me to dress causal. They write the check- They are the boss.

June Hoffman said...

Thanks Dj Chaddy Chaz for the comment. I hope that all wedding couples realize that their level of expectations should always be high when it comes to their wedding and their entertainment.